Friday, December 14, 2012

Over 842 Served

Back when I was in college about a thousand years ago, there was a hamburger chain. They were so small they only had one arch and I believe the sign over their place said "over 842 Served."

They've grown quite a bit since into a multi-billion dollar company. I still eat their hamburgers from time to time, I like them. Their CEO made $8.8 million last year. In addition to annual bonuses, he gets over an eight million longterm bonus every three years. Living in poverty, I think the only bonus their employees get are the pickles they pick off the floor.

It's not just them, at a combination taco, chicken and pizza chain, the CEO received $29.67 million in compensation last year. Their employees living in poverty, are not just high school kids, they average 30 years old with families to feed.  I know, tell them to get a college degree, with what?

We have a big box store in our town. The CEO of this big box chain made $18.7 million last year.
I've been shopping their stores for decades, gotten to know some good employees lately, Larry, Lavelle, Rick, Sallie, and decided I'd speak up for them.

You say it's not your problem? Well the greatest number of employees on food stamps come from this one big box chain. And you as a taxpayer are paying for this.

I know you say that we shouldn't shop or eat at these places, but that wouldn't get anybody better wages. Let's pressure, let's embarrass these rich companies not to be scrooges. Tell them they don't have to have a heart, just one-hundredth of a heart.

Stat counter


View My Stats